Thursday, July 3, 2008

List of 10 Books to Read Before You Die

Thought this was interesting. On AOL today there was a blurb about ten books people should read before they die. Here is the list:

10. Gone With the Wind
9. The Lord of the Rings *
8. Harry Potter Series *
7. The Stand (by Steven King)
6. The Da Vinci Code (by Dan Brown) *
5. To Kill a Mockingbird *
4. Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown) *
3. Atlas Shrugged (by Ayn Rand)
2. Catcher in the Rye *
1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series (by Douglas Adams)

AOL didn't say who recommends these books, but I thought it was an interesting list. I've read 6 of the ten (marked by *). Here is a link for the article. The author has explained why each book is listed.

Top 10 Books

4 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

What an interesting list...I wouldn't have guessed that those where the top 10.

Kerri Russell said...

This list seems unofficial, and highly opinionated, and biased. Dan Brown books are good, but I could have died without reading them (the same with Stephen King). The other books I would agree with, even though I haven't read all of them, but they have made a huge impact on society. Ok so Da Vinci Code did, but it was just controversial, it's not like it inspired someone to kill a famous person or anything.

Mrs. Gibbons said...

Me and Jason collaborated on this list and decided that it is very uncredible. We have a Barnes and Noble list of the best 100 books ever written (thus far, obviously) and the only one on there was "Catcher in the Rye." I would agree with Harry Potter because it was so original and pretty much took over the face of the earth...but I'm not sure if I agree with any of the others. And I found it interesting how much fantasy was on that list...

RilleneN said...

Very true--I kept looking for who was making these recomendations and couldn't find a name or organization. I think it is a credible list of contemporary popular fiction (empisis on popular)and reflects popular culture to some extent. Fantasy is one of the most popular genres selling.

I checked out the link again today and Hitchhiker was no longer on the list but the Bible was. ????