Saturday, May 31, 2008

So, How Many Units Will I Need?

OK--so I should have thought of this sooner, but I didn't so now I'm forced to look like an idiot and ask this dumb question. Anyone have an idea approximately how many units it takes to cover a year of school?

I mean, I know I need as many as it takes to cover the standards. So far I have 8 in outline form and I still have weeks of school left. How are the rest of you doing? What are you discovering? Do your schools have curriculum maps they ask you to follow? How do the various teachers keep track of what the others are doing? Are your Departments well oiled machines, or are there funky things going on? I've had my first "situation of the day" moment and school hasn't even started yet. Yikes!

4 comments:

Mrs. Gibbons said...

I really have no idea yet. I guess I should really start focusing on this as well. I counted that there is 38 weeks with a couple of days off and stuff. And a unit, depending on what it is about, should take 2-3 weeks. So that would make it like 12-19. That's kind of a wide range, but that's my mathmatical findings.

Lacking Productivity said...

I have been wondering the same thing! Thanks for asking. Good thinking Melissa!

Kerri Russell said...

For some reason I thought you were talking about "credits," now it makes sense (the other comments). I am just doing student teaching, so I am only doing ten weeks, so if according to Melissa's calculations, I will only need to do about 3-5 units. (Nice!) That's about a couple of novels, and some writing/grammar units. Oh the joys of STing.

RilleneN said...

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I was coming up with about the same thing. I've noticed though that my Units tend to be a bit long--I'm thinking I should spilt some of them.

I was also thinking that since my 7th grade classes are 2 periods, I might make some lessons longer to cover both periods while other lessons take just 1 period. I'm assuming you guys have 90 min classes on AB schedules?